We use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
We use the Read Write inc. programme to teach reading and to develop the skills needed for writing. We link what we learn during these sessions and use these skills to read and write across the whole curriculum.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
write simple sentences
For more information about this programme please click on the links below.
A series of video tutorials that will help you to support your child at home.
A Read Write parents page that provides valuable information about the programme.
A youtube video showing the ‘pure sounds’ approach that is used in the Read/Write programme.
Click on the link to visit the Oxford Owl website:
Ruth Miskin Training
Ruth Miskin Training recognise us for teaching the programme with fidelity and passion – we know what it takes to make reading and writing pleasurable and rewarding for our children.
This badge recognises that we:
- Raise standards in reading and writing for our children
- Are all expertly trained by Ruth Miskin Training – including our headteacher.
- Gain the latest programme updates through regular visits from our Ruth Miskin trainer
- Support our most vulnerable readers with extra one-to-one teaching every day.
To visit the parent pages on the Ruth Miskin Training website go to:
To sign up to the Ruth Miskin Training newsletter go to:
You can also follow them on Facebook and Twitter below: